Professional Work History
May 2016 – Present
Independent Consultant – Cox Insurance, LLC
Providing technical and business consulting for selecting an SaaS vendor deployment of an enterprise system for a new MGA.
July 2015 – April 2016
Provided full-time homemaking and primary care-giving so my wife could focus on her career.
June 2013 – June 2015
Independent Consultant – Argentus Capital Management
After completing the primary objectives for Summit Alliance Companies, I continued to provided technical and IT related business advice to Argentus Capital Management, formerly Summit Alliance Financial. Directed the migration of the rebuilt enterprise system to the cloud and created IT related due diligence documentation for a major investment firm to take a majority stake in the company. Continued consulting until I could recruit a new CTO to take over day-to-day operations and assisted with bringing him up to speed on current projects and systems status.
Febuary 2010 – June 2013
Summit Alliance Companies
Initially provided consulting, architectural and development services for an analytical proposal generation product offering within a larger SaaS RIA platform. After completion of initial consulting contract I was directly hired to rebuild and manage the technology department for the Summit Alliance Financial subsidary then later given responsibility for the IT operations of the parent company.
Software: Visual Studio, Eclipse, MS SQL Enterprise Manager, SVN, Visio
Technologies: SaaS, MVC Razor, Entity Framework, .NET, Hibernate, JQuery/AJAX, CSS3
Industry: Financial advisory for high net worth clients
October 2012 – June 2013
Summit Alliance Companies
Chief Technology Officer
Assumed responsibility for all technology operations for the parent company of Argentus.
- Oversaw major systems, security and network overhaul and rearchitecture
- Hired permanent systems staff and selected and contracted with vendors for specific systems implementation issues
- Created company-wide IT policies and procedures
- Provided high-level IT strategy and budgeting consulting
July 2011 – September 2012
Argentus (formerly Summit Alliance Financial)
Chief Technology Officer
- Rebuilt and reorganized the enterprise development team
- Reviewed multiple enterprise CRM platform vendors and made the final selection, then managed the implementation, deployment and migration of custom built internal enterprise systems to the new platform
- Prototyped core bridging architecture to link heterogenous software systems into a single enterprise platform then oversaw it’s implementation and deployment
- Personally analyzed, documented, redeveloped and deployed a new enterprise billing system to significantly increase speed, robustness and accuracy
- Oversaw complete rebrandind, redevelopment and migration of external facing SaaS web based offering from Cold Fusion to Microsoft .NET platform technologies
- Introduced and trained business personnel to Agile development methodlogies and general software development procedures and protocols
- Established business and development team collaboration and responsibility pairings to improve development and production support interactions
- Collaborated with executive, sales, accounting and operational leaders to develop and implement an overall technology go-to-market strategy for the businesses software offerings
Febuary 2010 – June 2011
Independent Consulting contracted through COMSYS
for client Summit Alliance Financial
Sr. Software Engineer
- Took complete ownership and performed significant triage of the assigned software system to stabilize and fix significant issues
- Implemented, deployed and provided training for business collaborators for development and staging/QA environments, source code control and issue tracking systems and protocols to bring development procedures up to industry standards
- Performed overall system analysis and initial documentation of the software product.
- Extensive redevelopment and refactoring of the entire software product to eliminate a significant amount of non-functional and duplicitous code.
- Rapid redevelopment of a complex administration interface utilizing a custom written generic interface that leveraged the advanced capabilities provided by JQuery, HTML5 and CSS3 and the Cold Fusion entity framework.
June 2009 – Jan 2010
Provided full-time homemaking and primary care-giving so my wife could focus on her career.
March 2007 – May 2009
Provided consulting, architectural and development services in the specific role of Internet technologies specialist to the application and business development team. Developed, supported and extend custom architectural frameworks wrapping web-based technologies to ease application functionality implementation for the rest for the engineering team based on their requirements and feedback. Participated in application design meetings to identify areas of the application framework that need development or extending, and coordinated the implementation schedule into the project plan. This included making time estimates and engineering assignments to the engineering team members and overseeing deployment of new functionality into the application. Responsible for most integration for the core application and external functionality, either supplied by the client, a vendor or another application internal to the company. Documented existing and new application frameworks to provide reference material for the engineers developing specific functionality in the application. Provided direct support to the client for any issues or shortcomings in the application framework if necessary. Managed development, testing and production build processes, including logging, tracking and retesting of issues in the issue tracking system.
Software: Apache, Tomcat, JBoss, Websphere, Oracle, DB2, MySQL, Eclipse, SQL Navigator, SVN, Visio, Erwin
Technologies: SOA, SaaS, Web Services, Stripes, Spring, Hibernate, Portlets, AJAX
Industry: Compensation Management Systems, Corporate Collaboration
- Redeveloped and extended several custom architectural framework technologies to address issues and provide enhanced functionality in the following areas:
- Object persistence in session.
- Forward and backward application page navigation, including automatic handling of breadcrumbs and object persistence and restoration to and from session.
- A custom and completely programmable hierarchical user work-flow system that provided the capability to plug-in custom events and actions based on the current state of the request in the work-flow system and the actions the user takes on the request.
- Converted a relational database based client specific object metadata system to an XML based system, complete with user interface to allow the creation and modification of the metadata information in the XML files.
- Consolidated code common to the application as a whole into base and utility classes to reduce the overall code base and provide ready access to common functionality for the engineers to use in new parts of the application being developed. A significant portion of this code had to be converted from hard coded application logic to be programmatic and extendable.
- Created an annotation based architectural framework to allow properties of business objects to describe the relationships to the base business object in the database for automatic loading and persisting of complex data objects within a single transaction. This included functionality in the base object for additional processing of the annotations to check for concurrency and complex date-sensitive referential integrity exceptions and generate user friendly messages to be reported back to the user.
- Exported custom application dashboard elements to the Jboss and spring portal frameworks to allow for deployment of the dashboard elements in a central enterprise collaboration application, utilizing the primary code base as much as possible to minimize duplication.
- Integrated the application security system with an enterprise collaboration application to allow for single sign-on through the collaboration application security system.
January 2006 – March 2007
Crozier and Henderson Productions
Senior Software Engineer
Sole developer assigned to extend, update and maintain primary consumer website and it’s web based administration system as well as a secondary email broadcast subsystem. Worked closely with client support department to identify issues with custom software systems and develop workarounds or redevelop relevant application logic as necessary. Performed impact analysis and developed and implemented architectural solutions for requested changes to production software applications. Provided training and mentoring for all departments and junior development staff on proper techniques and methodologies to effectively identify and communicate software requirements to the development team.
Languages: C#, ASP .NET, ColdFusion, Transact SQL
Software: IIS, ColdFusion Server/Studio, SQL Server, Visual Interdev, Visual Source Safe, Eclipse, Visio, Erwin
Technologies: Reactor, XML/XSLT
Industry: Television Production, Informational and Interactive Marketing
- Migrated all applications assigned responsibility for from entrepreneurial single server production environment to multi-server environment with complete fail-over capabilities, being the first to land in the new environment. This required major modifications to the code base and working very closely with Systems and Support staff to resolve issues as they were discovered in the new environment, paving the way for migrations from two other production environments.
- Redeveloped significant portions of the code base to fix numerous failings, optimize it and bring it up to basic coding standards, especially in the areas of reporting, data entry and management, and general user productivity.
- Designed and developed central data repository for industry standardized XML data feed from clients to be used by all relevant applications. Then implemented links between administration application for primary consumer website and the central data store as a test case and example for other applications.
- Researched, designed and implemented deployment of company produced video content to a streaming content vendor through the primary website administration system.
- Was a primary participant in a study group to analyze and identify features and shortcomings in the primary software systems that had been developed organically and were not properly designed and developed and for which there was no documentation.
January 2004 – December 2005
Senior Software Engineer
Developed and deployed complete websites from initial design compositions to final production implementation. Provided technical consulting to non-technical departments across the full life-cycle of website development and implementation, including identifying development tasks and technical requirements. Architected and built all backend processes related to delivery of client websites across most major Internet technologies. Designed and develop data storage and retrieval processes, including DB schemas, stored procedures, and data transformation and transfer systems. Researched and became proficient in new technologies as needed to implement client solutions.
Software: Apache, Weblogic, Websphere, iPlanet, JRun, IIS, SQL Server, Oracle, DB2, Eclipse, Visual Interdev, CVS, Visual Source Safe, Teamsite, Fatwire Update Engine, Divine Content Server
Technologies: Web Services, EJB, J2EE, Hibernate, AJAX
Industry: E-Commerce, Interactive and Informational Marketing
- Regularly assigned to emergency projects with compressed site redevelopment and update scheduling.
- Tracked down and resolved an encryption issue for a recurring transaction backend system that had been migrated from one merchant transaction provider to another.
- Aggregated multiple code modules across multiple projects into one common company-wide package to be deployed across multiple clients.
- Developed core XML and XSLT templates to demonstrate their use in creating dynamic navigational menus that can be implemented and maintained more efficiently.
- Developed XHTML templates enhanced with CSS designed to implement multiple sites through a site builder engine, allowing for a unified branding strategy for a major client.
- Assigned to be the primary developer for a client’s Teamsite implementation of multiple websites, mentoring other developers as they were brought onto various related client projects.
- Pioneered advanced use of cascading style sheets to implement text resizing and richly detailed web layouts.
- Developed XHTML templates enhanced with CSS designed to implement multiple sites through a site builder engine, allowing for a unified branding strategy for a major client
January 2003 – December 2003
Provided technical consulting and development services to Focus Technologies, IMC2, and Inginix for short-term, project specific contracts. Meet with clients to assess immediate needs and plan future project direction. Installed and configured network DMZ and web servers for initially deployment. Developed, extended and maintained primary web application products. Worked directly with architects to identify issues with and implement software redesign. Laid groundwork for larger follow-on development teams. Mentored junior developers as they were hired to take over.
Contracted to Inginix (September 2003 – December 2003)
Languages: C#, ASP .NET
Technologies: XML Defined Active Record Data Objects
Software: IIS, SQL Server, Visual Interdev, Visual Source Safe
- Leveraged previous XML/XSLT experience to rapidly develop dynamic reporting system that was missing in the software product and urgently requested by clients.
- Identified issues with abstraction of basic .NET framework in the software architecture and assist with developing corrections, specifically issues with page state and the use of session.
Contracted to IMC2 (July 2003 – September 2003)
Technologies: EJB, J2EE, E-Commerce, Merchant Transaction Processing
Software: Weblogic, SQL Server, Eclipse, CVS
Industries: E-Commerce, Interactive Marketing
- Redeveloped an administration website from Weblogic Commerce Server architecture to Jakarta Struts.
- Identified and resolved issues resulting from conversion of a major web application from Weblogic Commerce Server to Jakarta Struts.
- Modified a standard navigation menu XSLT/XML template to match design layout for specific client websites.
Contracted through Focus-Technologies, LLC. (January 2003 – June 2003)
Languages: C#, ASP.NET, XML/XSLT
Technologies: Apache, AJAX, Tablet PC Application Development
Software: IIS, SQL Server, Visual Interdev
October 1999 – January 2003
Brought on as a mid-level consultant but quickly progressed to a senior level consultant, mentoring junior staff members and assisting with systems design and analysis based on requirements documentation. Also met with clients to assess and document needs and requirements, then took the project through the complete development life-cycle including application architecture, design and development. Then worked closely with clients to implement the software solutions in a dynamic team environment using the latest Internet technologies.
Languages: Java, Visual Basic
Technologies: J2EE, EJB, Web Services
Software: Weblogic, Websphere, IIS, SQL Server, Visual Source Safe, Eclipse, Visual Cafe, Forte, Divine Content Server, ATG Dynamo, BizTalk
Industries: E-Commerce, B2B Service Providers, Content Providers, Travel
- Served as technical lead for an international team of consultants that successfully redeveloped from scratch an XML driven content ingestion application in three weeks by implementing various vendor packages based on Java standards, including Xerces and log4j.
- Analyzed security issues for an internal document sharing web application running on Microsoft Site Server and architected possible solutions to move to new platforms.
- Member of a large team that developed from the ground up public web services for a major international airline.
- Assisted in the planning, development, and deployment of the internal project and staff tracking system for the South-central regional offices, first as a developer in ASP, Visual Basic and DCOM and later as a mentor to interns working on final development and deployment of the application.
- Assisted in design and resolution of last minute development issues of a Java servlet based business-to-business website for version 1.0 and participated in the design, development, and implementation of versions 1.1 and 2.0.
- Worked with a team of developers and the vendor to analyze and extend a major e-commerce package to meet a client’s specific needs.
- Supervised a site redesign and organization by two junior consultants.
- Participated in the testing and Quality Assurance process for a major retail website.
- Developed the core of a content management administrative and security system for a major nationwide home builder using ASP, Visual Basic and COM.
- Worked as part of a large team of developers building a complete purchasing and reservation system in Java utilizing ATG Dynamo application server and connecting to several external vendor systems in real-time.
March 1999 – September 1999
As the senior web developer and engineer, I effectively ran the web team within the larger IT organization, including tracking and assigning defects to and mentoring the Web Team developers. My primary responsibility was to develop and maintain Active Server Page E-Commerce and content management applications. Also developed, documented, and maintained Web SQL Server database structures and stored procedures. Developed DCOM Visual Basic objects to implement business and content rules on Microsoft Transaction Server. Also responsible for migrating changes from development environment to testing and production environments when necessary.
Languages: Visual Basic, ASP, Cold Fusion, HTML
Technologies: ADO, DCOM, E-Commerce
Software: Visual Interdev, SQL Server, Transaction Server, Allaire Homesite
Industry: Multi-level Marketing
- Redeveloped a complex multi-level marketing e-commerce application from Cold Fusion into ASP.
- Tracked down and resolved outdated business rules implemented in Visual Basic COM objects.
- Performed Y2K compliance analysis of three corporate websites and reported finding to Y2K compliance team.
- Redeveloped a content administration application from Cold Fusion into ASP.
- Assisted in the redesign and implementation of three corporate websites from Cold Fusion into ASP
January 1997 – March 1999
Website Management Inc. (Flashnet Communications)
Senior Systems Analyst
My primary responsibility was to develop new table structures and stored procedures to solve data integrity and scalability problems in the existing enterprise database I inherited from the previous development team while also documenting and extending it. I also developed and administered a CRM system from scratch implementing Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 and Webbase before handing it off to a junior developer I hired and trained. I was promoted to a senior position and assigned to manage the enterprise development team consisting of junior Visual Basic and Perl/CGI developers.
Languages: Visual Basic, Perl, PHP, Transact SQL
Technologies: CGI, Dynamic Web Applications, Merchant Transaction Processing
Software: Apache, IIS, SQL Server, Visual Source Safe, Lotus Notes
Industries: Internet Service Provider, E-Commerce
- Developed a database and stored procedure API in SQL that provided a custom shopping cart sub-system for use by heterogeneous clients. This provided a singular code base for access to all business processes of the enterprise database, easing development and maintenance of business rules.
- Developed a Microsoft Access application to provide a singular reporting resource for the enterprise systems. The application allowed for dynamic creation of query definitions that executed to Microsoft SQL Server stored procedures to extract the requested information. I then converted several reports from a separate Access application to use the new application and developed new ones upon request.
- The customer contact tracking initially developed for the Technical Support department grew to encompass all departments.
- Developed an issue tracking system similar to the contact tracking system but provided for scheduled callbacks of customers who had problems that could not be solved within a single contact.
- Implemented an employee roster and scheduling system as well as a time and attendance system that allowed the importation of time clock data into a payroll system.
- Developed a reporting subsystem that provided time and attendance, call statistics and productivity reporting based on the systems developed and information obtained from a call center control system.
- Worked with three other analysts to restructure core tables and relationships of the enterprise database.
- Implemented an address verification API using a commercial software development kit, Active-X, and Microsoft SQL Server stored procedures.
April 1996 – January 1997
Sales Manager / Systems Analyst
Reported directly to the president and CTO. Tasked with developing a custom enterprise application to replace a paper file and QuickBooks based customer tracking system. As one of the initial hires in a small, start-up ISP, my responsibilities initially extended beyond application development to include basic management of office, clerical and technical support personnel until a full time manager could be brought on to take over general management duties.
Languages: Visual Basic, C/C++, CGI, HTML
Technologies: Dynamic Web Applications
Software: Borland C/C++, Visual Basic 4.0, Personal Webserver, Omni HTTP Server
Industry: Internet Service Provider
- Audited and reorganized a filing system to reclaim lost revenue.
- Correlated a Microsoft Excel file and a filing system to correct outdated, incorrect, or missing information in both systems to reclaim lost revenue.
- Developed a C application to receive new sales information from a remote call center and process it to generate new sales statistics and revenue reports and organize the information for importation into an Excel file.
- Created and implemented a small business Internet account to market to local area business.